Monday, January 25, 2010

My Two Homes

Hello everyone, my name is Mary. I am a liberal arts student at Northern Maine Community College. I consider myself to have two homes. I have found that I am like most people in the school in the sense that I am not originally from northern Maine. I was born and raised in the great state of New York, and though many of you reading this may see New York and think of a callused woman from the rough city streets, I will inform you now that you are thinking of the wrong part of the state. New York is actually a rather big state; in fact, it is almost 55,000 square miles, whereas New York City takes up only 305 of those square miles. New York State is set apart in three sections, Upstate, Western, and New York City. Most people immediately think of the city when they hear New York, but my home town is about a six hour drive from the city in Western New York.


Western New York is not much different from where I am currently living in Northern Maine. My two homes are similar in quite a few ways, but they also have minor differences. Both states are extremely beautiful and vast. I love them both, and miss each one when I am in the other. I often think about the little differences between
the two, the people, the food, the agriculture, the
landscape, and the subject that has been on the minds of the freezing people in Northern Maine, the weather. Since a blog is a place to explore what is on one’s mind, these are the topics that I will be exploring in upcoming entries.
This picture has been provided by google images

2 comments:

  1. It's refreshing to be reminded that there is much more to NY than NYC. I've done some traveling in upstate NY and you're right, it's beautiful -- and it does remind me of home. Looking forward to your upcoming entries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MW, I am looking forward to checking up on your blog regularly as Western New York is not a place that I know very much about. I'm curious to see how different it is from Maine and in what ways. :) Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete