Friday, March 26, 2010

Fields of corn and cow manure

Growing up in a rural area of Western NY, farming was an every day thing. Many Kids lived on farms and most students worked on them year round. The county that I grew up in was a big dairy county. Cows were every where in my town and every child knew a lot about cows. The crops in Western NY were the same variation that Northern Maine has but there was one huge difference. Northern Maine is a potato place. Most of the crops in Northern Maine are potatoes but they have some different vegetables growing here and there. Most of the fields that you see in Western NY are corn fields, but many of the fields are not for eating. Most of the fields in Western NY are utilized to grow corn for the cows that also reside on that farmers land. I love looking at the corn fields, but smelling them is a different story. While it is a fact that cows mean manure and manure means fertilizer, down in NY they liquefy the manure and dump it on the fields. That means that the whole county smells really bad. I do love to take long walks around the tall corn fields. Almost every corn field in NY has a treasure hidden around the borders. That delicious treasure is black berries. I love the wildly grown black berry; they are so much sweeter and juicier than raspberries. Every time I visit NY I go berry picking with my little sister. My whole family loves to go berry picking. It is great exercise walking along the vast corn fields, it is very fun especially when you are picking with a friend, and at the end of the day you have a delicious treat.

1 comment:

  1. I love berry picking, too! Strawberries and blueberries...and then making jam. I bet blackberry jam would be out of this world. Yum!

    ReplyDelete